Why Yoga is Perfect for Pregnancy
While I feel that anybody will profit a lot from doing Yoga, I feel that a Yoga practice is especially wonderful during pregnancy. Here are 5 reasons why, enjoy!
1. Yoga will help you to feel well within your body! Our bodies change daily during pregnancy and it is therefore easy to loose touch with our own bodies and it might even feel like what is happening within us is beyond our control. Hormone changes, additional weight and a growing belly - it can be very overwhelming! Yoga helps us to feel well within our bodies, to not gain any unnecessary weight beyond what we need to gain and eases any aches and pains that can come with pregnancy. Practicing yoga also calms the nervous system, which results in a better immune system, which is especially important when we are pregnant. How wonderful is that? The benefits continue:
2. Yoga calms your mind and eliminates stress! Pregnancy is a time of monkey mind alarm for many women. So many thoughts! We feel we need to prepare the house for our baby’s arrival, buy all sorts of new things, eat well, go to that doctor’s appointment, do this bureaucratic stuff…. Yoga is a wonderful antidote to having too many thoughts and to not feel stressed by everything that is going on but instead to ease into it.
3. Yoga prepares you for giving birth! Even an easy birth is still a lot of work. It’s like a marathon, we need to prepare for it. An asana (body posture) practice will give you the strength and energy you need and open your hips, stretching will help you to learn how to relax into the pain, pranayama (breathing techniques) will teach you all you need to know about how to use your breath during delivery and meditation will help you to realise what is about to happen and how to make the best of it. Pretty cool, isn’t it? There’s more:
4. Yoga will make you sleep better! Getting enough sleep can be a challenge during pregnancy, as a big belly sometimes makes it hard to find a comfortable sleeping position. And then you might need to get up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet too….. Asana, meditation and pranayama can all help to make the quality of the sleep you do get a lot better, so that you will be ready and alert for the birth and time with your baby to come.
5. Yoga is good for your baby too! The hormone release that yoga induces will benefit your baby just as much as you. Endorphines, dopamine, oxytocin and serotonine, all the hormones that make us feel happy and relaxed are released during yoga! And the biggest benefit of prenatal yoga for your baby is that your connection will become stronger as you become more aware of your baby inside of you.
Here you go, goodness galore! Yoga is also perfect for pregnant women because there are so many different ways of doing it, there’s something for everyone! You might combine asana with paranayama or asana with meditation, you might practice every day for 20 minutes or you might practice twice a week for an hour, you can practice at any time of the day and at your convenience alone at home with online instructions or in a studio! So, no more excuses, organise your yoga now and reap all the benefits for yourself and your baby!
Lots of love to you,